APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Aspect ratio different on computer compared to TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bobby Hall
Re: Aspect ratio different on computer compared to TV
on Jan 10, 2015 at 10:54:58 pm

John, my TV player is set to HD, 16x9, 1920x1080. Why does anyone here think otherwise? I was doing a test with the different view modes on my TV to see how it displays both anamorphic and non-anamorphic DVDs. And I wanted to test it using a non-anamorphic DVD (with black bars on all four sides) so that I could see what the entire image was supposed to look like without fear that my TV was cutting off any of the sides.

If I can see the entire image with the bars on all four sides, does this mean I'm seeing the image without whatever overscanning my TV is doing? I was under the impression that overscanning occurs when the image is slightly cut off on the top and bottom to avoid black bars or to avoid part of the image not meant to be seen, and you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it because it's being hidden by the TV. But when you play an old DVD and it shows the black bars (since I set it to 4:3 mode), does this eliminate the overscanning? I thought there'd be no overscanning in this instance since the image of the movie isn't extended to the edges of the TV since there are black. Thanks to anyone who can answer this!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]