APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Problems Reconnecting Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Problems Reconnecting Media
on Jun 16, 2014 at 5:11:02 pm

[Yasmin Mistry] "I've copied all the files to a much faster hard drive and re-organized the file structure."

Oy. FCP is bad with media management. Copying to a faster drive might have been OK, if you were suffering drop frame issues, but reorganization at that point wasn't the wisest idea. best to keep the original structure in place...even on the new drive. Best to name it the same thing and everything so things just reconnect. But now...you have a potential mess. But not without hope...you still have the original drive, and I hope a copy of the project that links to the original media on that drive.

[Yasmin Mistry] "The issue I am now having is that when I re-connect the footage in the bins the media in the timeline only reconnects to the original clip."

Disconnect the messed up drive before you reconnect. Or it'll keep trying to connect to the old media.

[Yasmin Mistry] "She did this by reconnecting the media in the timeline as opposed to the bins. I thought this may be the cause of my problems but I'm not sure if that's true or how to fix it, other than starting from scratch."

Yeah....that is. Sometimes media that you reconnect in the timeline will not reconnect in the bins too. Best to highlight the entire project, that way it'll reconnect in both places. And also best to take the originally linked media offline. Never wise to store camera backups and edit media on the same drive anyway.

Want this to be easy? Clone the existing file structure to a faster drive (if needed). don't reorganize a darn thing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]