APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: AAF exporting and importing using Automatic Duck (or anything that will work)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jimmy See
Re: AAF exporting and importing using Automatic Duck (or anything that will work)
on Apr 24, 2014 at 5:04:47 pm

That's because I can only test with the tools I have at my disposal sadly :( .

Curiously, since the last posting further testing yielded some more positive results, though I'm not entirely sure what I did. I noticed after all my frustration that there was a checkbox in the import options that read 'Use existing media' intuitively this looked like it was my culprit but before checking it I decided to read the automatic duck pro-import user guid which (in a section referring to AAFs) said that the checkbox was only relevant in terms of video and that if no video is present, the audio will be linked to the embedded existing media regardless of the state of the checkbox.

At the time when I noticed it, I was actually doing another OMF import test using the Automatic Duck Pro Import (this OMF had been generated with the plain old 'audio to OMF' setting of standard FCP 7's featureset. Seeings as the user guide actually only mentioned that the checkbox was irrelevant to my situation in the context of AAFs I reasoned it was worth trying here and checking the checkbox thus telling it to use existing media not reference external media which should be an option only for if you want to reconnect to a specific media directory. It worked a charm.

I then tried this again with an AAF with the supposedly irrelevant checkbox checked just in case and now IT worked too, when previously it hadn't. I even checked to see whether or not the folder created for the embedded media extracted from the OMF was being referenced by the now online media from my newly imported AAF somehow thus invalidating the test, but no, it had indeed extracted the media from the AAF in to it's own separate folder.

I guess I'm glad I got it to work in FCP, though it doesn't exactly make sense. I haven't had the time to check in all the other applications the various exports failed to open in before to see if they magically work now as well but whatever. Anyway just for future people in this situation to sum up.

There's a checkbox in Automatic Duck's pro import plugin that I should have noticed which you can switch on or off that allows the AAF or OMF to reference existing media embedded within the file (it extracts it to a folder) or for it to reference external media which you have manually link to yourself. It's not meant to make a difference unless there's video present but apparently it actually does after al.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]