APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: (Business advice) How long it takes to edit a 52 minute doc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Roth Weiss
Re: (Business advice) How long it takes to edit a 52 minute doc
on Apr 15, 2014 at 1:17:53 am

Hi Edward,

Your question is very similar to, "how much does a car cost." :) There are simply way too many variables for anyone to know the answer, and that includes your would be employer. I've personally cut one 60-minute documentary in under week, while another took 1.5 years.

And, whatever you do, DON'T cut it on a flat rate. If you do, you will have everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain, and you'll most certainly lose in the end.

Not to mention, there's only one reason he wants to pay you 50% at the end instead of paying you in equal installments - he knows you'll hang in there until the bitter end to get that second half of the dough, and he'll hold that over you forever, long after your obligation is fulfilled. I've seen that played out a thousand times.

If I were you, I'd offer him a deal at $750 per week, but payable every Friday - period, end of story. If he balks, just take a hike. Indentured servitude will ruin any creative endeavor, and not only will you lose oodles of money, you'll have nothing to show for your time, because if you're not happy in you work the project will invariably suck.

I hope this helps...

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]