APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

(Business advice) How long it takes to edit a 52 minute doc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Edward Harby
(Business advice) How long it takes to edit a 52 minute doc
on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:26:23 pm
Last Edited By Edward Harby on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:27:26 pm

Hey guys,

You all have been very helpful in the technical realm but I need some business advice.

I've never edited a 52 minute doc before and have been asked by a producer to one. He's new as a producer and I'm new as a editor in the sense of something that long (I've been editing 3-8minute stuff since 2009). It's obviously dependent on me for how long it takes, but editing short 3-8 minute projects is a whole different realm.

I'm in the process of getting the contract going and he said he'll do 3,000 for a 3 week edit. My first response is... will it take me three weeks to edit? I think it would take more but naturally I'll always want more time. Right now I'm contract to work as a DIT and I'm sort of outline the doc, creating an edit in my head to speed up the process. I'll also be viewing the footage before the editor's contract comes into play.

I'd love to hear your advice. I've already discussed doing the project as $1,000 a week and go from there, but he's pretty set for a 20% upfront, 30% for a rough, and 50% for a finalized product...

Any advice for contracts help. Financially I'm in in a tight position, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]