APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: i shoot on a canon 550d DSLR at 720 @ 50fps. could someone recommend the best FCP settings for timeline and for export so i can keep quality?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Greenberg
Re: i shoot on a canon 550d DSLR at 720 @ 50fps. could someone recommend the best FCP settings for timeline and for export so i can keep quality?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:02:41 pm

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "Right now i m using a Apple intermediate codec 720@50 on the timeline settings"

I suggest that your retransfer your footage to ProRes. Apple's Intermediary Codec was designed for G5 systems and willing to sacrifice quality to get playback. You do not want this.

If you retransfer at prores, FCP will work very well. Put your first clip on the timeline and it'll ask you if you want FCP to make it match (and you do.) No other headaches involved!

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "then when it comes to exporting my video i will simply export as a quicktime movie, meaning that my final file is normally in the couple of Gigabytes, then i have a piece of software that compresses it down."

Well, I'd suggest exporting your timeline when you finish as a Digital Master a final version divorced from your editorial system. You can store this indefinitely and make whatever distribution copies you like using Compressor or another compression application.

FCP7 has the extra ability to talk directly to compressor (from your original timeline) and get a small quality advantage.

Using ProRes 422 as a transcode or for longer term storage is a common workflow. You visually will not be able to tell the difference between your camera originals and your ProRes footage.

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "I understand that when you compress something obivously you will lose some quality, but sometimes it becomes very pixelated."

Any time you compress or transcode the quality takes a hit.
Camera file > ProRes 422 (nearly invisible.)
Camera file > AIC (visible quality hit)
ProRes finished version > h.264 (visible quality hit depending on how severe you set the compression.)

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]