APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Also reveal in finder won't work

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Also reveal in finder won't work
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:29:43 pm

[Matt Scholes] "But surely making a checkerboard edit with 18 tracks of audio, sometimes with 7 different audio sources (including some harsh background noise) is completely impractical?"

Impractical? No. Necessary. Many times I will have 8 people with individual mics and I want to hear one clearly, but not another, so I either dip down all the other channels, or add edit and remove. Does this take more time than using a simple two channel stereo track? Yes. But when you are tasked with dealing with multiple channels of audio, and you are the PICTURE editor...sorry, it's your job to deal with those channels of audio.

[Matt Scholes] "And slows down your edit no end?"

It does slow it down, yet. But it is an essential part of my edit. If I don't do this, how else is the audio mixer going to get this audio? That's the issue you are running into now. That is a pretty vital part of the process. By doing this one thing to make it easier for you, you've really messed it up for the final mix.

[Matt Scholes] "I've edited with two tracks for the first four episodes of what I'm cutting and it's been incredibly smooth."

FOR YOU...and for the edit. But now you've hit a brick wall and a major issue. This is why you need to edit with all those tracks and checkerboard things. Many a show and many a post supervisor have said "you must checkerboard your audio. This isn't a recommendation, it is a requirement."

[Matt Scholes] "I just wasn't banking on FCP having one of it's mind bending moments."

This isn't a bending moment. You did something wrong. This same issue would have popped up if you used Avid or Premiere Pro or Edius. If you don't use the all of the audio in the group clip, how else will the audio mixer get it? There is no button to press or setting to enable to magically make all the audio relink properly when the edit is done. Sync and Link was one solution that works for many. But it isn't perfect....as you also see.

[Matt Scholes] " you aren't willing to change you shouldn't be editing" - Richard Marks"

Exactly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]