APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

TIFF to Final Cut Gamma Shift (After Effects - Final Cut - Workflow)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jack Jackson
TIFF to Final Cut Gamma Shift (After Effects - Final Cut - Workflow)
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:38:36 pm

Hi there,

when working in After Effects I use the 16 bit space due to better results. To make sure that the following worksteps are nearly lossless i export my work as 16 bit TIFF Sequence (LZW Compression).

Correspondant I arrange multiple TIFF-Sequence-Shots in Final Cut to do the mastering. That's my workflow.

Due to the fact Final Cut Pro can't handle Image-Sequences directly and I don't want to flood the Interface by importing seperate Images for 1 frame - I use to take a step in between to Quicktime. Import the Image-Sequence and save it as a seperate File (save NOT export). The result is a movie-file, TIFF-Codec which can be handled.

Here's my problem:
When I import the TIFF-movs to Final Cut and let Final Cut decide how to handle the SequenceSettings, everything looks OK (Codec: TIFF). If I change the codec to a more common one like ProRes I got a huge gamma shift. Where does this come from and is there any possibility to change this?

When I import a StillImage of the Sequence I can handle how Final Cut interprets the Gamma (1.8 or 2.2.) and avoid the shift.

Is there any possibility to have a worklfow that includes AE > export as TIFF-Sequence > Mastering as another Codec in Final Cut and get an authentic result?

(Even checked the SequenceSettings for handling as YUV and interpreted the Whites as Superwhites - no Luck. My guess is, that the misinterpreation takes already place in Quicktime.)

Thank you for your responses,
Jack

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]