APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final Cut Pro Motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Grant Strac
Re: Final Cut Pro Motion
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:39:19 pm

When you re-install your media will be preserved it only removes the program files from your HD not the project files or the media. You should have everything on a separate drive then your program drive though just as back up. For example I have my boot drive that ONLY has programs on it. I then have a separate drive only for project files .fcp .motn.... then I have another drive with my project file media, footage, assets. Finally I have a separate drive where all my programs save my auto-saves to. Now this is four layers of protection not everyone needs I've just been screwed and I edit for broadcast daily so I actually have another layer where my server is backed up exactly the same way with the four drives (even boot drive) so fi I have catastrophic failure I'll (always) be protected. Not everyone needs to be this paranoid but I absolutely suggest that you NEVER have your project media on your boot drive with the programs. Eventually after extended use it's recommended by apple to keep media and programs on separate drives so your not running a program that is pushing in and out of a drive then the media is doing the same thing. Then eventually you can have bottle neck and burn a drive. I strongly tell you this because it happened to me once. The more layers of protection better because you don't want what happened to me having a show going to air in t minus four hours and boot drive failed with the media drive and thankfully I am paranoid and had sandbox drive and media backed up.

If you have the separate drive back it up anyway. But when removing FCS programs it only touches the top layer of your drive where the actual system files to run program lay.

I know that I am going overboard but it's always best to have backups of everything you'll thank yourself when you do have a failure. I run my machine top notch and it happens to me every three years.

IF you haven't removed the program try deleting your preferences. Digitalrebellion.com offers a wonderful preference manager tool to remove them all with button click.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]