APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Error: Out of Memory - Out of luck - any ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steven Cohen
Re: Error: Out of Memory - Out of luck - any ideas?
on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:04:33 pm

I was reading you post just now and was about to say the same thing that you just discovered.

We started having that same problem when we switched over to HD from SD.

We traced it back to large 300 DPI 3000 x 4000 pixel images that Final Cut had the overhead to deal with on an SD timeline, but with all the extra thinking it has to do with HD video it could not handle the pictures being that big.

One of my editors put this handy dandy guide for the other editors here.

I've put it in there.

When using photos in segments:

NO CMYKs! In SD you could get away with it... Not in HD. Change them to RGB.

Check the photos file size and dimensions. Any photo over 2.5 meg in size is a potential render problem... i.e. you will get a “Out of Memory” error message and lose the render which is a real killer if you’ve been rendering for 10 minutes or more, only to hit a oversized photo, crash and lose the render!

An easy way to check is to click on the file in spread “cover” view which will instantly show you the info.

Resize all oversized pictures in Photoshop before use.
Max size you want is around 2400 x 2400 with a max of 150 resolution.

The 1st killer is a resolution of 300. I’ve found that a photo of ANY size with a Res of 300 is “the kiss of death!”. Take it down to 150 if you plan to zoom into the picture... 72 if you don’t.

Steve.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]