APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Thunderbolt --> eSata adapter ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Priest
Re: Thunderbolt --> eSata adapter ??
on May 17, 2012 at 2:57:51 pm

Hey Thomas

You said: "Ive been in contact with Sonnet. They are releasing a 6Gb/s card which is fully compatible. Im going to get one of those cards. I will report back here on my speed findings... Of course, the Sonnet adapter also has the advantage of being an expresscard /34 slot, so for things like SxS cards and a few other peripherals, it has the edge. Juts not the speed at the moment!" I was wondering what speeds you're now getting and what type of RAID you're using?

My Sonnet E4P card in my MacPro went dead on me 4 months short of the 3 year warrantee. After contacting Sonnet, they informed me It only came with a 2 year warrantee even though my OWC receipt indicated that it was a 3 year warrantee. Well, I was quite pissed to say the least, but in the end, Sonnet came through an honored my 3 year warrantee. I have a better opinion of Sonnet these days considering how they have bent over backwards to please me.

While communicating with them about the e4P card replacement, I mentioned that I wasn't very happy with the speeds I was getting with the Echo Thunderbolt Adapter, which I was using on my iMac with the Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34. I was getting about the same write and read speeds as with my Firewire connections. Mind you, I was using single JOB eSATA drives, not a RAID of any kind. They told me that my problem was the ExpressCard.

This is when they informed me that they had a new card out (it's so new, it's not even on their website yet). This is the new card you were talking about Thomas for the benefit of others reading this post. Well, to make a long story short, I received the card yesterday and it almost doubles my write and read speeds with the stand-alone JOB eSATA drives. I ended up doing a software RAID 0 on two each 1 TB external SATA II drives (3Gb/s not 6) and I'm getting write and read speeds around 180 - 190 MB/s with 1.5 GB free on the RAID. So, needless to say, I'm a pretty happy camper. This will do me until I can get a Thunderbolt RAID.

For anyone else wanting to get this new card, it's not listed on their site as of this posting. But the official name of this card is: Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb ExpressCard/34 not to be confused with their older 6GB card. This new card doesn't use any additional Sonnet drivers for the MAC, the drives included in the MAC OS is all you need. This is great as now I don't have to worry about constantly checking for new drivers from Sonnet.

One caution though, this new card does not support port multipliers on the Mac, however, it does under windows 7 and Vista. Another plus with this card is that it seems to run a lot cooler in the Echo Thunderbolt Adapter then my previous card.

On another note, Sonnet has a new Thunderbolt Adapter , with the word "Pro" in front of it. If anyone can explain to me what the difference between the two adapters, it would be much appreciated.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]