APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Esata Drives for Video Files and Backing them Up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Duncan Craig
Re: Esata Drives for Video Files and Backing them Up
on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:35:20 pm

I'm in the UK, and I use FCP6 on an older 17 inch MBP.
I bought this lot from OWC:

Items Ordered: 2
Qty: 1
Item Number: OWCEXP34SATA2F1
Description: OWC Slim ExpressCard to eSATA Adapter for Apple MacBook Pro models (See Description for Apple Model Compatibility) and any ExpressCard/34 slot equipped PC Laptop. Add an eSATA Port to your Laptop - Totally Flush Fitting! New with 1 Year OWC Warranty
Price: $24.99
Qty: 1
Item Number: OWCMEPQ936AL2
Description: OWC Mercury Elite Pro "Quad" eSATA / FireWire 800/400 + USB2 Hardware RAID Dual-Drive Enclosure Kit for Two SATA Hard Disk Drives. Oxford 936 chipset. All cables included. Supports up to 2 x 3.0TB Drives! 1 Year Warranty.
Price: $99.97

And as has been stated already just use USB2 external hard drives for data backup. You'll only be backing up at night in downtime or whatever, so speed of transfer won't be an issue. I backup everything onto matched sets of USB drives - mostly 1.5TB Toshiba, and use CD Finder to categorise all the drives. One half of the pair will live of site and I bring them back every so often to copy new files across.

I probably wouldn't buy the slim Express34 adaptor now if I had to. I'm looking at upgrading to a thunderbolt Mac and needed a hunderbolt to Express34 adaptor. The Sonnet TB-Express34 adaptor isn't qualified to work with the OWC Express34-eSata adaptor yet, although it might work... So I would probably have to but a Sonnet Express34 to eSata adaptor too. The other solution available is a Lacie TB-eSata hub at £200 or so... Hopefully more TB stuff will come to market soon though.

Duncan.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]