APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: AID 5 Advice for both enclosure and HD drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

James Bayliss-Smith
Re: AID 5 Advice for both enclosure and HD drives
on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:11:29 am

Thanks David befor I wish you a very merry Christmas I wanted to keep this discussion going if you can bear it.

[David Roth Weiss] "Yes, but you won't be able to move it over to to your iMac and you'll be stuck working on your MBP with your best hard drive setup."

This is no problem as the one at work will stay at work, I'll have to think of a different solution for my iMac at home.

[David Roth Weiss] "I would go with RAID 0 and simply do manual backups for now. Save your ammo for another day when you can purchase a solution that will do all of the things you require with complete reliability."

Do you mean build my budget RAID array with my proposed cheap kit that I can get easily here in China. Forget about setting it up as RAID 5 and set it up as RAID O to get one nice big fast hard drive then manually back up the important stuff as regularly as I can?

I have to say that I am tempted to go with RAID 5 using that box I linked to over eSATA. It sounds like it would work.

Given that unless two hard drives fail at the same time I can replace a failed drive and let the RAID re-build itself then the weak link is my cheap RAID enclosure that has not been built specifically for Video editing.

[David Roth Weiss] "RAID 1 is also not a great solution for video editing BTW. It's really meant to provide redundant backup for documents and still photos, etc., but does not ultimately have the throughput for video editing without dropping frames."

I currently use a 500GB x 2 CalDigit VR mini in a RAID 1 formation. I've not experienced any problems editing DVCPro footage using that drive (all we will ever use at work unless they upgrade the whole bureau to HD which is not on the Horizon). So if that works fine for my needs then perhaps my budget RAID array over FireWire 800 in a RAID 1 formation is my best bet for safety and backup?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]