APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Audio sync drift problem with HVX200 P2 capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Dawson
Re: Audio sync drift problem with HVX200 P2 capture
on Aug 29, 2011 at 1:28:37 am

Hi,

This problem was solved for me on Creative Cow. I don't know if this is your same solution, but this was what happened with me:

I was having the same problem you described. Exactly! (drifting getting worse as the clip progressed, etc.) It turns out the problem was that when I transcoded the 24p footage (shot on a DSLR) in mpeg stream clip, I manually set as the frames per second to exactly 23.98. I did this b/c in FCP, that is the short-hand used for 24p footage. However, the footage is really 23.976. Even in FCP, it really is 23.976, despite the fact that is says 23.98 all throughout.

The problem is this: if you drop footage into FCP that is at a frame rate that is not recognized by FCP (e.g. 23.98 vs. 23.976), you get the drift.

I solved the problem by leaving the fps field in mpeg streamclip blank. By doing that, mpeg streamclip will transcode the footage at the source material frame rate, which is actually 23.976.

You didn't mention that you were transcoding, so my guess is that the 30 fps footage is exactly 30 fps. I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that exactly 30 fps (vs. 29.97) is not recognized by FCP. I wonder if you transcoded the footage to 29.97 if that would solve your problem?

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]