APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP - 720p @ 29.97 NIGHTMARE!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom Brooks
Re: FCP - 720p @ 29.97 NIGHTMARE!!!
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:48:36 pm

When I need smooth playback on a client's computer without special hardware and software, I never deliver in a camera-original, mastering or editing codec. For playing on the desktop, in PowerPoint, or on the Web, the file needs to be in a compressed video format that is optimized for the computer. At the most simplistic level, on Windows machines, Windows Media works best. On Macs, Quicktime with H.264 is best. The particular flavor of each depends on the computer your audience is using.

DVCProHD is a wonderful set of codecs, but it's not designed for presentation use. Certain types of Windows Media and certain types of Quicktime H.264 are meant to be presentation or delivery codecs. What I try to do is deliver the highest quality that I think will play well with the playback system of my audience. I have never delivered DVCProHD to a client, except when they intend to use it for additional editing.

The fact that your movie plays OK in Final Cut and AJA TV indicates that those hardware/software systems are assisting your computer to play at a higher quality than Quicktime Player alone can handle.

How are these movies being presented? What is their purpose and what is the playback system? I hate to blather on if I'm completely missing the point.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]