APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 444 Codec & Video Processing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

gary adcock
Re: 444 Codec & Video Processing
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:17:03 pm

[Rivai Chen] "FCP can only set to high-precision YUV or RGB 8 bit."

There is nothing that I can find published by Apple that say that FCP is limited to 8bit color, many of the filters and effects -yes- but not the processing. As of FCP 7's release RGB material can access 32-bit float space for rendering. (do a search for 10bit RGB in FCP help)

While a single link HDSDI signal is limited to RGB8 bit, a Dual Link signal easily supports up to 12 bit log as RGB so I do not understand where that thinking is from. Maybe its because the RT engine in FCP defaults to 8bit for rendering as do most of the filters and effect.

If you are working in 10bit RGB RT is turned off by default, there is a reason when there is no realtime processing any bit depth in the original is handled without issue.

"this is FCP that we're discussing here. i find there's no way to have such setting RGB 10bit even if you have the AJA hardware."
See above.
Here in lies my last point in the previous post- for this type of highend workflow FCP is traditionally only part of the picture, and that is why there are specific easy setups for aja's 10bit log codec.

"The original content is comes from RED 12bit linear and it's RAW. "
Its only 12bit if you handle it correctly- that would assume that you are converting to DPX within the RED software or using one of the highend tools that support R3D output at that quality.

"I would like very much to maintain it until the final export to DPX via gluetools"
Why not convert your content to DPX to start with?

" If any link in the chain can’t handle FP then the whole chain drops back to 8 bit. In our experience few workflows through FCP are greater than 8 bits, "

I know David and he is one smart guy and in Cineform they have the single best cross-platform codec available. He is correct when he says that few have workflows that are above 8bit.

In this quote he never says, as you imply, that it cannot be done.

Many of the FCP filters and effects render in 8bit and the RT engine for the most part working in 8bit, but within ProRes it does maintain 10bit processing of YUV. Unfortunately Apple does not allow other codecs (like Cineform or Sheer) that privilege. Turning off the RT engine does allow you the ability to handle the content at the native bit depth with less interference.

Working in 10bit RGB within FCP is just not as common as people think it is and it takes diligence throughout the process, thats why the highend has always been about the proprietary tools and processing and workflow.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]