APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why is FCP so wimpy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

olof ekbergh
Re: Why is FCP so wimpy?
on Sep 27, 2009 at 1:40:54 am

As I mentioned above, I am using M100 latest Suite with AJA HDe and Matrox MX02, on the same systems. One is an 09 MP 8core 12GB ram RAID 5 Promise box (600+MB/sec). The other is an 08 4 core MP with similar RAID. Another Suite is the old M100 with HDR FX. I also have a couple 09 MBP's with M100 and FCP, that can use the MX02.

So everything is the same for FCP and M100 on the newer systems. And M100 just blows FCP out of the water. All the SW is latest only one of the MBP's is on Snow Leopard, the rest are on 10.5.8. I use an EX3 a lot and that does not really work with SL yet.

I usually use ProRes422 HQ on HD 1080p 60 or 23.976. SD is usually edited HD then played out on AJA or MX02 to Beta SP deck.

The only real advantage I see with FCP are the tabbed windows. If M100 had that there would be no comparison.

Bear in mind this is just my opinion and a lot has to do with the way I like to work. I like monitoring everything on an external Pro monitor all the time in full HD and I run external scopes full time as well, the AJA and Matrox do this very well.

In M100 there is almost never a need to render, but in FCP I spend more than half my time waiting for renders or jumping into STP and back, M100 has fantastic audio built right in including separate buses tracks can be assigned to with any compressor/limiter or whatever applied to it.

Olof Ekbergh

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]