APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Playback problems with ProRes 4444

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

gary adcock
Re: Playback problems with ProRes 4444
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:02:31 pm

[David Burch] "The program file I keep on a separate bus-powered Firewire 800 drive, so I can work on my project both at home and at work. Neither machine is set up on a network"

OK

you have hit one of the undocumented additions to FCP.

In the Prior versions of FCP, the only way to assure that your output would conform to SMPTE specs was to install a hardware output card in the computer. When you add professional level video output it forced FCP to properly report any anomalies such as slow drives or limited bandwidth issues.

With the release of FCS 3 and the emergence of fully tapeless workflows, this error correcting has now been included in the base install of the software, so that is why you along with many other people are now reporting an increase in " dropped frame" warnings.

the only suggestion beyond going to a faster drive (FW 800 Multidisk array is the first) would be to try and see if giving AC power to the drive rather than using buss power to see if that help. Otherwise you are going to be limited.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]