APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Playback problems with ProRes 4444

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Burch
Playback problems with ProRes 4444
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:57:49 pm

I am having a strange issue with the new ProRes 4444 codec. I have been editing a project on an older, 4-core Mac Pro (2.66 GHz, 12 GB RAM) and use quite a few motion graphics I have rendered out to the new codec, which I then overlay in the timeline as lower 3rds. On this older machine, the codec has had no problem playing back in real time after being dropped into the timeline. No rendering is required.

However, I recently transferred my project to a brand new 8-core Mac Pro (2.26 GHz, 12 GB RAM). All of the sudden the ProRes 4444 clips will not play back. They immediately stop and give me a "dropped frame" message. This is true in the preview window as well as on the timeline. Is it possible my new machine is actually much slower than my old one, and that this is causing the issue?

Both computers are using an internal Raid-0 configuration with 2 One Terabyte drives, plus a single 1TB render drive. Both have the latest version of Final Cut Studio 3, and both are running Snow Leopard 10.6.1. The only other difference I can think of between the two machines is that the newer 8-core is a clean install of FCS 3 while the other had FCS 2 on it, which I upgraded.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]