APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Best SD to HD upscale solution? Trying to make 4:3 footage fit into a 16:9 film, seamlessly!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardi
Re: Best SD to HD upscale solution? Trying to make 4:3 footage fit into a 16:9 film, seamlessly!
on Mar 6, 2009 at 11:32:51 am

I would use my Kona 3 to upscale it during ingest as that's the cleanest way to do it. But then you're blowing it up another 50% which is not going to be "seamless" by any means because you're really going to degrade the image even further. SD generally does not scale up that well at all when you try to fill the 16:9 space.

We never try to fill 16:9 with a 4:3 image. We do one of two things.

Put a blown up / blurred version of the same image behind the 4:3 image and knock down the brightness by 50%. This gives the same motion and colors as the primary video in the 16:9 space.

We do nothing at all to the pillar box around the 4:3. It's not as distracting as you might think. PBS requires that we leave that space blank and we've delivered 5 episodes to them doing just that. Now that same client wants us to do the same for everything else as it's really clean.

If I were you, I would use my hardware upconvert to convert it to HD on the way in and then manipulate it from there. Hardware conversion is always better than software conversion.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]