MAC OS X: Forum

Re: Can I upgrade my Mac to edit 4k or even 1920, or is it a lost cause?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Al Bergstein
Re: Can I upgrade my Mac to edit 4k or even 1920, or is it a lost cause?
on Feb 28, 2018 at 5:53:38 am

Bill, Robert has some good points. You may still be using FW drives that new machines can't support without adapters. You are on the far side of modern, and close to being unable to upgrade your software, let alone your machine. That age of machine is at a much higher probability for failure of components, likely when you least want it to happen. Anything over 5 years is living on borrowed time. That's just stats talking.

At any rate, my recommendation is to move to an iMac if you want to continue editing modern footage. I have a newer iMac and it works great with 4k footage. I would look for a used machine on Ebay. I've bought two of my last four machines on either Ebay or Craigslist and they worked just fine. Look for 4GB of Video RAM and 32 GBs of RAM. An SSD is preferrable. then plug in your older USB drives.

Getting off 10.8 is important for many reasons, security, and also the ability to upgrade software with newer, more secure versions is important. I had a friend wait too long and all their word processing was unable to be migrated forward because they had a program that no longer was supported by anyone on any OS. It is unusual but it happens.

Good luck on your upgrade path. If you are not feeling competent on upgrading older OS's find someone you know locally who can help you. It's well worth a few bucks or a beer to find someone who can guide you on this. Upgrading software is the first thing to do, then the OS can follow. That way you'll find the software that won't run on your older machine.

Al

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]