MAC OS X: Forum

Re: HackinTosh

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Cumberworth
Re: HackinTosh
on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:01:00 pm

I have a Dell Netbook Hackintosh I "built" just to experiment w/XCode, and because I thought it might be cheaper than getting a legit Mac.

It works ok, but the screen was horrendous, multi-touch didn't work, some drivers didn't work, it can barely run programs, it's hit-or-miss if you'll ruin it completely by applying updates, and after the additional expense/hassle to upgrade the RAM (disassembling the ENTIRE thing to install the whopping max of 2GB!), I'd saved about $100 over the cost of a brand-new Mac mini w/HDMI-out, up to 4x the RAM & a legit Intel processor. For another $200 or so I could've had a brand new MacBook Air that would run circles around the crappy plastic Netbook & look cooler doing it.

It was a fun experiment though & much like jailbreaking my iPhone I kinda enjoyed playing "hacker" for a bit ... but I'm MUCH happier & more impressed w/the actual Macbook Pro I just got.

I'd say, if you want to build it for the experience/challenge of building it, then go for it & enjoy experimenting. But, if you just want it to save $$ & run OS X, it's ultimately not worth it.

Besides, who knows how much longer the Mac Pros will be around, based on their latest shenanigans. Could be a good time to grab one before they're gone like Final Cut! Buy RAM after-market though because in that regard for some reason Apple still seems to believe it's 1998...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • HackinTosh by Greg Burke on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:37:46 pm
    • Re: HackinTosh by Bob Zelin on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:28:11 pm
    • Re: HackinTosh by Mike Cumberworth on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:01:00 pm

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]