MAC OS X: Forum

Re: Advice on new system drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Advice on new system drive
on Aug 22, 2008 at 3:55:41 pm

I personally like Seagate, but you can find people who say they like other brands more.

As for size, that's totally up to you. I will say that I don't max out the size of my boot drives because I have no reason to. Everything works faster if your files are on drives 2, 3, and 4, so that's where I keep my stuff. (Even my iTunes Library has been moved there.) I use the boot drive for Applications and their support files and not much else.

So something in the 300 - 500 GB range is good. That's more than I need, usually, but it's good to have a little room to grow, just in case.

But again, that's just me. If you can think of uses for a 1 TB boot drive, there's no problem with that.

Besides the obvious (SATA, 7200 rpm) the one thing I would be sure to look for is the drive's cache size. There are drives with either 8, 16, or 32 MB caches built in. That's not usually something they put in big letters on the front of the box, so be sure to research that before you buy. It's usually on the box somewhere in small print. If an online store doesn't list that info, buy from somewhere else. I know http://www.compusa.com is one site that lists that number.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]