FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: PolyEditing: Cut + Seperate + Fill Holes + New Material

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Newville
Re: PolyEditing: Cut + Seperate + Fill Holes + New Material
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:24:08 pm

That's what I was already attempting to do. Unfortunately, Maya's Boolean tool is not stable enough to handle complex geometry. Anything more than primitive objects and it starts to freak out. My model is still pretty low poly but since Maya is not able to make the calculation it just gives up and everything just disappears. It's not just my version or machine either. I'm running 2012. My colleague is running 2013. He told me this has always been a problem in Maya as long as he's used it. So we are left with having use the cut tool, duplicate the object, delete opposite sides of the cut on each copy, then manually filling the holes. 3DS Max also struggles to succeed with Boolean. XSI actually can do it, but it messed up the material and uv mapping. I have actually had the best luck with Blender. It gives me great results, but it many attempts cause it to crash depending on where how complicated the cut is. I am just looking for an easier solution to this. It was taking more time than it was worth so had to leave this idea behind for the current project. But I am still interested in finding another way if there is one yet.

ShaneNewville.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]