DVD AUTHORING: Forum Encore DVD Forum

Re: Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS combo recorder

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave Haynie
Re: Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS combo recorder
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:05:42 am

Standin' here, cooking my dinner over my combination fire pit and microwave oven, talking on my combination telegraph and cellphone, I can't offhand think of such a beast. Not to mention that, while there are DVD recorders, I have not encountered a Blu-ray recorder other than the PC type, or the original non-standard, MPEG-2 only STBs from 9 years ago, Japan-only.

But seriously... no, there's no Blu-ray/VHS Combo. Nearly every Blu-ray player will also play DVD and CD, though it's not a required thing (they're all different specifications). Most Blu-ray players will also play AVCHD DVDs from camcorders (and the same format on memory card, if they have a memory card reader).

I actually still have a semi-professional JVC SVHS deck, and another fairly good Panasonic SVHS deck, so along with a digitizer of some kind, I can bring VHS into my PC pretty easily (last time this was needed, I used my old Sony Digital8 camcorder, which did analog to DV encoding). If you need a consumer-quality VHS deck, there's one at every yard sale, going rate around $10. And they do still exist in stores.

Yeah, sure, it's a little more work to convert via PC. On the other hand, some of the evils of VHS can be solved with readily available image processing tools, before going to disc. And there's really not much point in recording VHS to Blu-ray anyway... if you convert regular VHS to 352x480 MPEG-2, you're doing it a kindness, and you can fit crazy amounts on a DVD.

-Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]