DVD AUTHORING: Forum Encore DVD Forum

Re: update on dual layer?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave Friend
Re: update on dual layer?
on Dec 10, 2005 at 2:16:02 pm

[Bob Cole] "Can I create a dual-layer DVD master (assuming I go out and go a dual layer DVD burner) which a replicator could handle?"

I have to ask if the disc will be replicated or will it be duplicated? Each word has a different meaning when speaking in terms of DVD manufacture. Replicating implies copies made from a glass (stamping) master and duplication implies copies made by recording (dubbing) on to recordable media.

The best compatibility is always achieved by replication. But for short runs replication is usually not cost effective.

You should talk with each facility under consideration about their ability to replicate or duplicate from a DL disc. My guess is that some of the better replicators may be able to take an image from the DL disc that can be used to create a glass master. I also think you will find that reputable facilities will tell you that duplication of DL discs is not recommended.

The plants that I have been dealing with lately are hesitant (to put it mildly) to duplicate DL. They will do it but will offer no warranty on the outcome.

Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]