FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Any good way of capturing 4:2:2 without breaking the bank?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Any good way of capturing 4:2:2 without breaking the bank?
on Apr 28, 2020 at 2:03:07 am

Well I don't have a solution for you, but I do have to ask this, which might keep you from spending a bunch of money...

Even though the files generated are huge, have you tried, as a test, recording some of your key setup at 4:2:2, or 4:4:4 (even a short couple-of-seconds clip as a test)? If so, did that make a big difference? Did you get a perfect key?

I ask because you admitted your key setup was "really bad" and your "lighting's all over the place." If that's the case, improving your recording a little bit by going to 4:2:2 might not solve your problem. In fact it might not even improve it at all. I've pulled many flawless keys from 4:2:0 footage, because the lighting was good... but I've also struggled with even 4:4:4 footage because it was poorly lit. Kicking it up to 4:2:2 is not the golden ticket that's going to make everything perfect or even easy if you start with bad footage captured in a bad environment.

Not to be a smartass, but it's a bit akin to telling your doctor "My foot hurts, what can I rub on my arm to make it feel better?" I just don't want you spending a bunch of money (or wasting your time) buying an expensive recorder, when that's not the problem. I understand that your shooting situation may be difficult, but getting good lighting when shooting comp shots is not only Rule #1, it's really Rule #1 through about Rule #10 or #11. If your lighting is as you say "really bad" it might be an impossible situation to overcome... or at least require a lot of fairly painstaking roto work or garbage matting.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]