Does Anamorphic 1.33 Lens Result in LOSS of Resolution and Blocky Images

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Crow
Does Anamorphic 1.33 Lens Result in LOSS of Resolution and Blocky Images
on Apr 15, 2019 at 3:37:51 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Apr 15, 2019 at 3:43:52 pm

I have been having some trouble with image quality (blockyness) using a 1.33x anamorphic lens. It happens to be concerning still images shot on my iPhone using the Moondog Labs anamorphic lens (I assume the same issue would apply to filming video with it) but I wonder if it has something to do with this:

1) When using the Moondog Labs lens the resulting still image is 4032x3024 resolution which comes out to a 12MP image. That's fine - the iPhone 7 Plus back facing lens is also 12MP so it's what you would expect

BUT

2) When you "desqueeze" the width of the still image by 1.33 times so it looks correct - then the math comes out to a 5363x3024 meaning it's now a 16MB image - so are the extra pixels being "made up" by Photoshop OR were the extra pixels inside the original image all along and it's just that now you can see them in their proper aspect ratio - desqueezed?

3) In the workflow I have been using, I take the desqueezed image and scale it down - back to a 9MP image - assuming that my Step 2 is indeed creating extra pixels that weren't originally captured - do you think this scaling back down would do anything to, so to speak, recover the original image quality?

Steve Crow

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]