FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: What aspect ratio should I shoot with, when mixing historical footage?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Blaise Douros
Re: What aspect ratio should I shoot with, when mixing historical footage?
on Aug 2, 2018 at 5:58:24 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Aug 2, 2018 at 5:59:15 pm

Shoot your interview and b-roll in whatever aspect ratio you prefer/whatever aspect ratio the delivery requires. Then get creative with the archival stuff. I've done a variety of treatments--my two favorite are:

- A graphical "frame" to denote archival footage. This can tie visually into a graphical element of your film's logo or overall theme, or you could place relevant metadata about the footage in the "margins" if you want it to look technical.

- Duplicate a second copy of the archival clip, and place it behind the main footage in the timeline. Increase the size until it fills the background. Apply a blur effect to the background copy, and position it so it minimizes any distracting elements popping out from the sides.

There are a million ways you could slice this. One other treatment I've done which might work, (it's time-consuming but looked pretty cool) was to place photos and/or videos in 3D space in After Effects comps with a blurry logo in the background for additional visual reference, and panned the camera between them so it's almost like a 3D scene, with light particle effects to enhance the 3D camera movement. There's a fast example of it in this video at the 10-second mark.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]