Re: "You're Doing It Wrong"

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: "You're Doing It Wrong"
on Jan 12, 2018 at 5:38:04 pm

Well Mark... couple points...

1) First of all, I totally agree with you, that technique is "wrong" and just plain jarring. I believe that goes a bit hand-in-hand with the other cutaways we are often seeing, the behind-the-scenes or "setup" cutaways, where a talking head of someone being interviewed is cut away to a wider shot that shows the whole room with the myriad assortments of lights and cables and grip gear. The first time I saw that I wanted to scream "Why????" because it made no sense to me... although I did on occasion like seeing how the lighting plots were designed. At least though it doesn't break any "rules" and does follow the language of film. It is still weird though, nonetheless.

This other technique, though, I just can't wrap my brain around. Why you would ever cut from talent speaking to camera to another shot where they were not does nothing but baffle me. It's a puzzler. And it's just plain wrong. I'm a huge fan of "Dateline" on NBC (and I would gladly listen to Keith Morrison read the phone book for an hour), but we're beginning to see that "wrong" technique on the intros to each segment of that show. I haven't noticed it happening with Lester-Holt-hosted weekly prime time shows... but they have now syndicated Dateline into nightly versions and have new non-Lester-Holt talent doing the intros, and they always do that gawd-awful cut to a "B" camera while the talent is still talking to the "A" cam. Wrong wrong wrong.

2) Rant about it as much as you like, but I don't think this technique is going away any time soon. I think it is unfortunately gaining traction rather than losing it. But it still makes zero sense to me.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]