FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: 48 or 60 fps for only a slight slow-mo effect

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: 48 or 60 fps for only a slight slow-mo effect
on Oct 22, 2015 at 7:24:57 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "use the speed tools to speed it up....works at slo mo and works sped up with total flexibility."

Yes, of course you can always speed up slow-mo footage to normal speed, and I've had people ask me "Why shouldn't I just overcrank everything, so that if I want to slow-mo something later I have that option." Well you certainly can do that, but when you "normalize" the speed you risk very choppy staccato video if you have much action in your frame, obviously because as the frame rate increases the shutter speed goes up, too. It's exactly the same combo if you are shooting 24fps but with a narrow shutter. Great for "Saving Private Ryan," but for other things... not so much.

So Rich is absolutely right in that he only shoots 23.976 for normal speed shots. Overcranking should really be reserved for when you pretty much know the shot will be slow-mo'd. You can use overcranked footage at normal speed, but I'd definitely save that for the emergency no-other-options situations and be prepared for that narrow-shutter action-movie look.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]