Re: 48 or 60 fps for only a slight slow-mo effect

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: 48 or 60 fps for only a slight slow-mo effect
on Oct 18, 2015 at 6:18:42 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Oct 18, 2015 at 6:20:15 pm

I hate to argue with a sage like Rick (because I almost never can successfully), but in this case I will...

If you overcrank yet still shoot with a "normal" frame rate (say, 1/48th) you will get blurry smeary slow-mo. The brain needs just a certain amount of motion blur to interpret images as smooth, any more or any less causes problems.

You will not get the staccato effect by shooting at a higher (appropriate) shutter speed for slow mo. Think of it this way, if you were shooting in real time a subject that was actually moving slowly, you would get much less motion blur in an individual frame than if your subject was moving quickly. That's what shooting at a higher shutter speed for overcranking basically simulates.

Or think about it this way... us old timers like me and Rick used to shoot film. If you were shooting 24fps in a camera with a non-variable 180° shutter, your shutter speed would be 1/48th. BUT, if you overcranked to 60fps, your shutter speed would automatically be 1/120th... there's no changing that even if you wanted to (with a fixed-shutter camera... and even with a variable-shutter film camera you can only change that a little). And yet the footage looks "right."

Rick's argument makes a bit of sense in theory, but in practicality you need the "right" shutter speed for the corresponding frame rate.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]