FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: 48 or 60 fps for only a slight slow-mo effect

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: 48 or 60 fps for only a slight slow-mo effect
on Oct 18, 2015 at 5:44:44 pm

Well firstly, I wouldn't call that "slight" slo-mo by a long stretch. I'd say it's pretty significant slo-mo. To me "slight" is shooting at maybe 30fps or 36fps... which gives you just that barely-slow-motion look that is prevalent today.

The obvious (and slightly snarky, I realize) answer is to just run some tests. Shoot footage at various frame rates and see what results you like. Also, it's easy enough to rip that Vimeo video, throw it on a timeline, and adjust the speed until the action looks "normal." If that video is the look you are going for, then that will tell you at approximately what fps the original footage was shot. Some of it didn't look all that slow, but then again some flying birds looked pretty darn slow so that leads me to believe the fps was fairly high.

So, just test it. Oh, and remember that when shooting at higher-than-normal fps you should shoot with an appropriate shutter speed for your new frame rate (the formula that you'd likely want to use is "one over twice the frame rate"... ergo, if you shoot at 48fps you'd want a shutter speed of about 1/96th... at 60fps you want 1/120th, etc.).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]