Creative COWSIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivesearchhall of famerecent posts

Another boring "choose a basic camera!" thread.

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Social ShareSend Email MessageShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInComment
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Max PalmerAnother boring "choose a basic camera!" thread.
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:25:48 pm

Hi guys- I've been discussing with my manager about purchasing a camera for our department. I work on a small corporate in-house creative team, and we've spent the past year diving into video production and multimedia as a marketing tool. We've been thinking lately about purchasing a basic piece of video equipment so that we can expand our capabilities somewhat.

I've been asked to put a list of three possibilities together, low-end, medium-end, and high-end. Since price points determine everything and this argument is for exploratory purposes and will help determine my budget, let's keep the high-end price point at $3,000. I know that severely limits my options when it comes to high-end cams, but we're still building a case for actually buying a camera in the first place. We also have an in-house production team that's located out of state if we ever wanted really high-end shoots, but they aren't available at moment's notice so I'm sort of looking for a stop-gap measure. Used equipment is fine IMO, but depends on my manager's feelings.

– I would like something high-def, but doesn't have to be 1080.
– We would want audio input to be a consideration. We aren't sound engineers, nor do we have that sort of equipment, but I would like to leave that sort of capability open for recording meetings, events, and interviews.
– Must be sensitive enough to work with available, indoor light (offices, conference rooms.)
– Must have the usual manual controls for focus, WB, exposure lock, etc.
– No tape-based workflow solutions. I would like to go directly from memory to workstation with no conversions, and don't want to have to purchase equipment or do camera capture.

I hope these are good points. Thanks a ton for any help and insight. Hopefully I can get something together so people can stop filming things on their Flip cams and iPhones!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Social ShareSend Email MessageShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInComment

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESJOBSNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn GroupCreative COW Facebook PageCreative COW on Twitter
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]