FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Best HAnd Held camera for two hour take.

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Stone
Re: Best HAnd Held camera for two hour take.
on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:05:26 am

Right tool for the job says this is a Steadicam job. Full stop.

You should pony up the dough and hire a local Steadicam Operator who is either in film school or just out. You want one with a rig that can hold 10 to 15 pounds.

You should pay them at least $1200 probably close to $1500 per day for a rig that can hold a package of that weight (regardless of whether it is a rehearsal or shoot day). Don't ask them to do it for pizza. It's an expensive trade and takes a lot of training & skill to do it.

Tips, be super organized with your shot list. Then listen to the Operator's suggestions as they will have a more instinctive understanding of how to move out of different camera modes than someone who doesn't operate a Steadicam.

I would suggest using as light a camera as possible. Forget about dressing up the camera with rails, mattebox, etc... unless you absolutely have to. 3 to 4 extra pounds on a rig for that long of a shot will kill the Operator. EX3 is doable on it's own.

I've seen people with older Sony Z1U and an HVX200 on Steadicam Pilot rigs who can comfortably shoot for hours on end but the lighter the rig the more "flighty" it gets.

You could go the Canon 7D or 5DmkII route as far as weight goes but that has inherent workflow issues which I am sure you know about.

-Andrew

--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]