FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Fast Lenses

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sean Simms
Re: Fast Lenses
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:20:06 am

I am a writer, director, producer and production designer for my films.

I'm shoot with DSLR's 5D, 7D or 60D.

I like making narrative films with beautiful backgrounds so I want them to show up in the film.

I shoot under low light because I create a mood that is part of the beauty of the film.

If you want an example of something I shoot and why a short depth of field didn't work you can see my film "Tasha's Dream " here.

It's a ten minute short with an incredible background that is a cinematographer's dream but in some scenes one just doesn't see the details of the "art work"/production design because of the narrow dof.
(EX: In the first scene the girl is in front of a mirror but the beauty of the mirror frame is blurred)

You will also notice that their are places where the characters are in shadow with no detail.

And finally, I have been shooting with a high ISO (usually around 800) to compensate for the low-light but I did get more grain then I wanted.

My DP was young 21 (though he was making a living shooting commercials for people) and had seen my previous work so was willing to work for peanuts. (the total budget of this film was only $1,000) so I got something good for a little bit of money but next year I will be making a feature film version of Tasha's Dream (my first feature) and I want to get this low light shooting problem worked out before production.

I did not think of shooting with a "normal" HD video camera......like a sony z1u or maybe a E3 because I thought that the low light capabilities of the Cannon 5D (with its adjustable ISO and full 35mm frame sensor would pick up so much more).

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]