FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Difference between Video Lenses and SLR Lenses?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Asmund Voll Tesdal
Re: Difference between Video Lenses and SLR Lenses?
on Jul 30, 2008 at 8:12:56 pm

Since the thread over at the broadcast video forum pretty much died, I'll quote my own post here so you guys can tear it apart :-)

(and after reading the thread here in this forum, I'd guess that constant focus while zooming is one of bigger factors. How does the pricing on film zoom lenses compare? I've always had the impression that they're a lot more pricey than video lenses.)

My original post:

Interesting ponder. I don't really have much clue when it comes to SLR lenses, but if I were to take a wild guess, I'd agree that servos and more lens elements is a big part of the equation. For one, video lenses have a set of elements in them to maintain focus while zooming, most have built-in extenders, and my impression is they generally have greater zoom ranges (starting around 15-20x) and smaller f-numbers (larger apertures). And since every moving part needs to be remote-controllable, I'd guess that comes with a price in servos, too.

But again, I'm really just making a qualified guess here, since I don't know much about the "features" of SLR lenses. Feel free to educate me, though :-)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]