FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Was I asked a trick Question?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Was I asked a trick Question?
on Jun 15, 2008 at 3:48:37 pm

[Ryan Domis] "This class is full of competitive sneakiness that makes me sick to my stomach. People have been contradicting and disagreeing with each other solely for the purpose of ego, with nothing to do with "right or wrong." the size of ego's and the amount of thick headedness in our class is absurd for a film school."

In all the 13 years that I have been building online communities now, I have learned that just as the COW is made up of its team, there are many teams that I know that work together in the film and broadcast worlds. On the film and broadcast projects that I get to work on, they are always with the same people. It's the old saying: It's not what you know, it's who you know. Teams seem to surface and resurface often on various projects. So uncontrolled snide and condescending egos are a sure guarantee that Mommy & Daddy's monies paid to the film school are likely to be a bad investment and are just as likely to be monies spent to teach these kids a powerful lesson -- and that is that many people with degrees end up working in fields unrelated to the ones in which they have their degree. :o)

Most all of the incredibly talented people I know in this industry have two things in common: They are incredibly talented and while they are indeed self assured and have strong egos, they are also very nice (most of them) and understand that they are surrounded by talented people whom they must interact with to get their jobs done and create something of value. The ones who aren't nice are at least smart enough to keep their egos in check to the degree that they aren't so obnoxious that they make themselves untenable on a project. If they are not, then they aren't likely to work on many projects.

Set your goal to be part of a team and look for those that understand that principle. Oh, and don't let the bastards get you down.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]