FORUMS: list search recent posts

CMOS and rolling shutter - solution?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Mast
CMOS and rolling shutter - solution?
on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:31:49 am

I'm saving up for my own camera. I want HD, and I tend to like Sony cameras because I'm comfortable with them, and I like how they handle. But beyond choosing brands or tape v. tapeless... I'm concerned about CMOS cameras.

I've been using a Sony A1 for over a year, and I like its picture quality and practicality, especially for the price range. But the rolling shutter issues with the CMOS seriously bug me. It's not noticeable all in low-action scenes, like interviews or landscapes, but any motion, or camera shake, or whip-pans look wavy. Applying SmoothCam fixes overall camera shake, but it distractingly accentuates the rolling waves. Four-point motion tracking and match-moving in Motion also becomes more difficult, because a tracked plane doesn't have the waves like the rest of the picture.

Does this bother anyone else, or does it just bother me because I can recognize it now? Does it bother normal viewers? Should I get over it? Anyone know good workarounds?

And the next question is... are there any camera manufacturers that have developed a workaround for the rolling shutter issue with CMOS sensors? I like the form factor of the EX-1, but the rolling shutter issue honestly is a deal-breaker for me, because it limits how much motion I can reasonably allow in a shot. I'm not shaking or waving the camera all the time, but I do like being able to use quick motion when it's appropriate.

What do you all think? Especially those of you that use CMOS cameras in professional settings -- do they work for you? Is it acceptable for broadcast?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]