FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Lighting question

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Lighting question
on Nov 19, 2019 at 3:47:37 pm

Rick is right as always about diffusing the Kinos, listen to him (I usually do).

Don't worry about lighting temperature based on the skin tone of your subjects... either bulbs will be fine. Instead be concerned about matching the ambient light, or whatever other instruments you are using. If you are in a situation were there is also daylight light (a house with windows, etc.), then go for the daylight bulbs and use other daylight instruments. If you are in a studio setting, it doesn't matter... match it to whatever other fixtures are being used in the scene.

I have totally given up using Kinos or any other similar instruments. They were absolutely GREAT in their day, but I think the day is passing. They are just too heavy, clunky, fragile, and I never ever use any instruments anymore that are dependent on AC power (with the rare exception of the occasional HMI).

My go-to lights of late for talking heads, interview-type setups, and narrative scenes where I need soft pretty light on people are the round bi-color "flapjack" instruments made by FotoDiox. I started using these a couple of years ago, and have several sizes. To be honest I've never seen anyone else using these (except online, not in person), but they give the most natural and beautiful light. Plus they are very thin, very lightweight, very robust, and not very power hungry. They are also very very reasonably-priced. Cheap, actually.

They are also a good company. I had one instrument that had a switch get broken. I had bought it off eBay. I emailed the company about getting it repaired (fully expecting to pay for it). They wrote me back that since I had bought it from an individual not from them or a re-seller that it was not under warranty (which I knew)... but said to send it to them and that they would go ahead and fix it. I thought "wow," and sent them just the head...I wasn't asking for a freebie, just to pay for a repair. They sent me back a full and brand-new identical kit... head, power supply, batteries, case... everything. Good company.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/flapjack-led-edgelights

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]