Re: Looking for a new lighting instrument

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Looking for a new lighting instrument
on Jun 6, 2019 at 10:01:25 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Jun 6, 2019 at 10:03:38 pm

Yeah, you likely don't want fan-cooled instruments in such a small space.

I said "likely," because they aren't always a problem. I have LitePanels Astra instruments which have fans, and you would never know it (not an appropriate fixture for your job, just an example of fans). They are perfectly silent. I also have some Boltzen fresenels that are fanned but silent. Maybe if you pressed your ear to the body you could hear them, but not otherwise... I've never had a mic pick them up at all. Then again I also have some other older instruments where you can clearly hear the fans.

The old-school incandescent Source Fours do not have fans. I can't say with certainty if the newer modern LED versions are fan-cooled or not (I've not had the opportunity to use them). They might, might not... will have to plead ignorance on that. I don't know if the Hives have fans either.

I completely forgot about another instrument that I'll recommend you look at, the Source Four MINI... I completely forgot that it came in a mini version....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=source%20four%20mini&N=0&InitialS...

That's the way I'd go. It's smaller than anything else, cheaper than anything else, and will do all that you want it to... and weighs only a couple of pounds. Plus the Source Four is the industry standard for exactly the job you are trying to do, especially in a tiny studio space.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]