FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Looking for a new lighting instrument

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ty Ford
Re: Looking for a new lighting instrument
on Jun 6, 2019 at 4:12:28 pm

Well we've sort of jumped the track here, but I think the bottom line is WORKING TOGETHER.

I was on a shoot. We had six or seven setups to do in the day. Setup #3 had talent opening a door, stepping in and delivering lines. I setup a locked down shot with my trusty boom holder. The lighting folks set lights and said, "Boom Shadow!!"

I said that I could lav the talent, but would much prefer to boom him because of the quality of the sound. I grabbed my wireless gear and headed for wardrobe. I wired the talent. When we came back the lighting folks had found a way to achieve their lighting without causing a boom shadow. WORKING TOGETHER.

Maybe because I had worked with these folks a number of times and we all felt "connected" it turned out just fine.

On a totally different shoot, we had been working hard all day and it was one of the last setups. I had hired a second audio guy because of the number of talent. We rolled. The director (who I had also hired) said, "That's it. Let's move on!" I said, "Nope. Both talent were talking low and over each other." The words were important. I looked at the other sound guy and asked if he got it. He said no.

I had to argue with the director (an old and dear friend) to do the shot again. In the end I said, "You didn't hear what we got. You weren't wearing cans. You can dislike me now, but you'll hate me in post if you don't do another take."

I was also the technical editor for the project and he was the creative/content editor. In post, he agreed that the take I objected to was crap and the extra effort was worth it.

Not all sound people are easy to work with. Some seem to have PTSD from "unknown sources" or being beaten down by directors who don't pay attention to what they are being told. We are wearing headphones so we know what just happened. Directors who don't wear headphones are problematic. They sure as heck are watching the monitor as the shot goes down. Some of them are not as aurally fixated as sound people. They may not be able to look and listen critically at the same time. They need to do both.

Sometimes I'll ask for playback so the director can listen to the take. I do this to save my own butt if I have a problem with the audio. If the director is OK with the audio, then I'm not responsible.

etc., etc., etc.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]