Re: Looking for a new lighting instrument

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Looking for a new lighting instrument
on Jun 6, 2019 at 2:32:42 am

Relax, Ty... no messenger killing here.

My comment was mostly in jest, only partially to make a point.

That said, though, I didn't feel overly helped and did feel relatively chastised for suggesting there might be a more cost-effective way to solve my problem. Instead I was more or less told "that's what it costs" before the conversation devolved into suggestions like using lavalieres instead of booms... which in no way would have solved the problem.

It wasn't necessarily you, but everyone (although you did call my camera "cheap" without even knowing what I was shooting with... and, it's not).

Maybe things are different here on the video side of things, where there is almost always a hack to do something cheaper or different, or a possible way to do the impossible... and a pretty rich DIY culture of helpful people. It's a different world... I can build a homemade camera crane and the viewer will never know the difference. I can't build a microphone.

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad. Take the show Modern Family, which is shot with $100K Alexas sporting $100K lenses. Yet all the car interiors are shot with GoPros.

I will say though that the audio forum was recently surprisingly indulgent of one particular longtime troll-poster (who is persona non grata on just about every internet forum).

All that being said, the Source Four is the instrument you're looking for to do what you want in your studio... whether it be the uber-expensive LED version, or a cheap used incandescent fixture like Rick suggested.

That instrument will do what you want, and make you happy.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]