FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Lighting a room for green screen

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Lighting a room for green screen
on Sep 5, 2018 at 3:58:14 pm

I'm assuming you mean you're lighting one wall in that room, not the entire room. I get very good base lighting on my green/blue screens with a couple of big Lowel Rifa softlights. At home, I get the same thing with 20-dollar LightDow softlights equipped with BonLux "corncob" LED bulbs. (on Amazon)

If you need to avoid stands, and keep the room clear as possible, my favorite option for those is a Matthews auto-pole, basically an industrial version of the expanding shower curtain rod, but meant for hanging lights from.

But Todd's fluorescent troughs will also work for this. When you light a chromakey set with just two sources, they need to be super-soft and aimed to overlap, or you'll get hotspots on the sides and a darker spot in the center. That's where his third fixture, hanging from above, helps to fill-in the center. The auto-pole could handle hanging one of his DIY fixtures just fine.

Use your camera's zebra bars and manual iris to explore and confirm that the coverage is as even as you can get it. You don't need it super-bright, or even super-saturated. You mostly need it *even*, and wrinkle-free as possible... and I like the peaks on the chroma screen at around 80 IRE units so the talent can go brighter than that on highlights and not be blown-out.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]