COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Shadow Effect
on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:46:25 pm

Rotating the light is the easy part.

It's the timing that's the hard part.

Remember, the light is not just rotating around the subjects at random, it is timed with the dolly move so that the rotation of the light is at the same point for each corresponding point of the dolly position. There was probably some motion-control coordination of both the lighting instrument and the camera position. This was also probably shot at 4K to give the compositor flexibility in positioning and cutting to make sure all the subjects were at the appropriate size and frame positions when the transitions happened.

Even though we see some "natural" environment (i.e., grass) in the wider beginning shots as the spotlight passes through, I strongly suspect this was shot on stage... not a location exterior. It would just be much easier that way.

Also... although the rotating instrument is definitely the key light, it is not the only light. With the last three actors the shot is finally close enough that you can see the reflections in their eyes, which shows that there was at least one fill light. If done practically it might have been dimmed up and down in time with the rotating light... or it might have been controlled in post.

As Mark said, this is a bit of a throwback technique... but I've never seen it used to transition between subjects like that, or done so well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]