FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Lighting design tips for a boxing match

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Lighting design tips for a boxing match
on Jul 22, 2009 at 8:00:38 am

If the budget is tight, another approach would be to build a super-sized softbox over the entire ring.

The way I understand it, there's no fixed size for a boxing ring. 16x16, up to 20x20 are typical. So this assumes 16x16.

I'd start with a 16' x 16' box built out of 2x6 lumber with evenly spaced joists and stringers to start. Rig that to the roof/ceiling with chain. Then go to Home Depot and buy a whole bunch of cheap two or four lamp fluorescent fixtures and suspend them from the box in close rows over the entire surface of the ring. Lamp them with decent "full spectrum" modern tubes. These, in turn would be suspended from the wood box and positioned so they're 6" to 1' above a large expanse of translucent white fabric. I'd probably build a 20x20 frame from 1x4 and stretch the fabric around it, then use more chain to suspend the fabric frame from the light support frame. Contact Rose Brand for bulk fabric, or if you don't have time - just sacrifice a bunch of old-style white parachutes and use that) What you want is an even, shadowless wash of illumination that comes at the fighters from every direction so that both can see equally well, and the illumination level is consistent from any and every direction. That way both the fighters and the audience can see perfectly no matter what angle they're positioned at around the ring.

Then use your other lights to do the walkup and corners, gobos and whatever.

That's what I'd do if I wanted to keep things affordable, anyway.

FWIW

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]