Lighting design tips for a boxing match

COW Forums : Lighting Design

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

JaJuan Lowry
Lighting design tips for a boxing match
on Jul 21, 2009 at 2:25:43 pm

Hello All!

I have recently been hired as the LD for a military boxing match coming up in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any of you great lighting guys have any tips/suggestions. It is not a huge budget for the show, but I do have a little bit of money to play with. I am thinking about doing a small rig, 8-mac 250's mounted on a square truss above the ring.I would also like to hang some source four ellipsoidals to throw some gobos on the wall. And my main problem, lighting the ring. I don't know if it would be best to hang some S4 pars on the rig, or stack one piece of truss on top of another 20-30ft away from the ring and throw some Ellipsoidals on it to wash the ring. If I did stack the truss I think it would be good to throw some s4 pars on it as well to wash the crowd. Any suggestions?

I would also like to create a couple of different scenes for the match:

1:pre-show look- as people walk in I would like to create a military command center inspired theme. I was thinking of washing the crowd with an almost ultraviolet purple and throwing some military inspired gobos on the wall in a laser green color. (I picked out some gels but can't remember the numbers off the top of my head.) During this time I want the ring to be dim and I was thinking about washing the ring with blue and using some gobos to throw some stars on the ring floor. I'm not sure if the purple in blue will clash or not.

2:boxers entering the ring- Another part of the show I am struggling with and am open to any suggestions. Originally I wanted to use a low crawling fog in the hallway where the boxers would enter from, but of course they don't want to use anything that resembles smoke, COOL! So, I was thinking about setting up a rear projection system in front of the door they will be entering from and having the boxers stand in front of the screen and throw a couple of jabs before they walk out, hoping to create the illusion of a silouette behind the screen and I can change the color for the different boxers. I'm not sure if I can squeeze that into the budget so I may have to come up with a more cost effective method.

3:during the fight-at this point I plan to keep the audience dim and have all focus on the ring. still haven't figured out the best way to light the ring yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and thanks in advance for all the great suggestions!!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]