4K transcode settings for a 1080 project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Thomas Quinn
4K transcode settings for a 1080 project
on Aug 3, 2019 at 6:14:53 pm
Last Edited By Thomas Quinn on Aug 4, 2019 at 2:51:03 am

This is my first time posting here, so please let me know if I should be posting somewhere else.

I moved from Premiere to Avid recently to work on a project, I’ve worked with Avid in the past, but this is my first time using it for a serious gig.

The project I’m working on was shot mostly in 1080 23.976 so our project is setup up as such and our footage was AMA linked and then transcoded to DNX 175. We also have a good amount of 4K (1.90) drone footage. The editor wants to work with this drone footage at 1080 with an online workflow, he doesn’t care much about being able to punch in to different areas, but doesn’t want the system to be bogged down by the 4K.

Initially what I had planned to do was AMA to the 4K, then convert it to DNX LB and maintain the frame size so we could use frame flex with the intention of re linking to the AMA 4K at the end.

But since the editor wants to work in a native 1080 workflow and never take anything offline, I’m wondering what the best way to downres the 4K to 1080 would be. Should I AMA link and just transcode the 4K to 1080 DNX 175 like we did with the rest of the footage? If so, what’s the best option under the reformat option in source settings to maintain the 1.90 aspect in my 1080 project?

Any advice or tips on this workflow is welcome, thanks so much.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]