AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Problems converting 23.98 program to 29.97

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Guy Mellitz
Re: Problems converting 23.98 program to 29.97
on Jul 31, 2019 at 12:43:36 am

These are all excellent questions I've been wrestling with all day. Unfortunately, the contact I have is, I believe, an AE who is probably doesn't really know, or is unauthorized to stray from what he's been told to do. I would love to give them both 24p and 30i versions, but I'm not sure that I'm allowed to.

You're correct that this ultimately will be broadcast, hence the 'i'. Beyond that, he says "We sometimes deliver other versions that are progressive, it’s just the broadcast master than needs interlace. Starting with interlace makes it tougher to make the progressive masters."

After trying virtually every combination of frame interpolation and export setting imaginable, I'm actually back to square 1 which, despite your reaction, seems to in fact look the best. However, there is of course visible 'banding' (in addition to the blending at many of the cuts). Basically, it gives me 3 normal frames, then 2 blended ones, 3 normal, 2 blended, etc. If a cut falls on one of those 2, they're blended.

I think what I have to do is send them what I have, point out the banding/blending issue and see if it's possible to deliver the 2 separate versions.

In answer to Jeff's question: If I try to export the 24 directly to 30, I get duplicated frames, so there's a stutter. If I bring it in to a 60p project, I no longer have the banding issue, but basically every frame is blended, so it's as if there's a 1 frame dissolve on every frame. Can't have that.

Incidentally, thank you both for your help. I appreciate it.

Guy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]