AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Re: Avid Perpetual License

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Avid Perpetual License
on Sep 26, 2018 at 5:30:31 pm

[Nick Mars] " I guess my frustration stems more from the lack of transparency surrounding how that annual update plan worked. I got the perpetual along the same lines of logic, that it made more sense since I could use it until a significantly new OS or system dictated upgrading, then re-pay the 300 and upgrade"

No disrespect intended, but you misunderstood. Avid has been very clear all along, that if you skipped an annual renewal, you were locked into the last version in effect during your support period. But I suppose it depends on how closely you follow their pricing info. It certainly hasn't always been that way in this exact same manner, but close.

[Nick Mars] "It just seems that systems last shorter and shorter amounts of time nowadays, so saying "you can use this version as long as you want" doesn't mean in 2018 and onward what it would have meant in 2003, in terms of how long your OS is likely to function from a security standpoint (which is what really concerns me with outdated OS)."

Also, you don't have to update the OS version every time. In fact, with Avid, it's less useful than with other NLEs. But also, it's going to depend on when you replace/upgrade your computer, since a new machine will come with a new/current OS version.

[Nick Mars] "current version of Premiere is a joke of bugs"

Hmmm.... Don't see that at all. I'm running 7 systems at work, plus my own machine at home. Not to say that it's bug-free, but I certainly don't encounter anything major. Anything in particular you are running into?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]